Beacon Lesson Plan Library
What's My Nutrition Value?
Bay District Schools
Students learn the nutritional value of food and how to read labels on food packages.
The student knows the nutritional values of different foods.
-Computers with CD ROM
-"Five a Day" CD (available free from the Dole food company)
-Sample nutritional labels from food packages. (brought in by students and teacher)
1. Become familiar with Dole "Five-a-Day" CD.
2. Bring in nutritional labels from products.
3. Prepare questions/worksheet to match labels brought in.
1. Several days prior to using CD, let the students bring in nutritional labels from packages, practice reading them, and share the different nutrients.
2. Demonstrate to the students how to work through the different sections of the CD.
3. Divide students into groups (or let them work individually) and let them do the activity in "Label Land."
Students self-assess their work by making an entry in their work journals and reflecting on what they discovered.
Circulate and formatively assess students as they use the technology tools. Provide assistance for students who are experiencing difficulty and monitor accordingly.
Web supplement for What's My Nutrition Value?Dole