Beacon Lesson Plan Library
DescriptionStudents work in groups to create a mnemonic device, give an oral presentation, and create a pictorial representation of the correct sequence of the planets and asteroid belt from the sun.
ObjectivesThe student knows the arrangement of the planets and the asteroid belt in our Solar System.
Materials- Pictures or cardboard models of planets and asteroid belt
- 9x12 Manila Construction Paper
- Crayons, colored pencils, or markers
- Modeling clay
- Poster of definition of mnemonic device
Preparations1. Make picture or cardboard representations of the planets and asteroid belt.
2. Gather materials for activity.
3. Write definition for mnemonic device on poster.
Procedures1. Ask students, Where in the world are you? Accept all answers while guiding them to the response of planet Earth.
2. Distribute pictures or cardboard representations of the planets and asteroid belt to selected students. Ask them to arrange themselves in sequential order starting with the closest planet to the sun. Allow students a minute or two to do this. Check for accuracy.
3. Discuss the correct arrangement of the planets and asteroid belt from the sun.
4. Ask, “What is a mnemonic device?” Review what a mnemonic device is (display poster) and share examples of them (i.e. FACE – spaces between the lines on a treble cleft, HOMES – names of the great lakes). Explain to students that they will work in groups to create a mnemonic device to represent the arrangement of the planets and asteroid belt in relation to the sun.
5. Allow students time to work in their groups. Observe students' understanding as they complete the group activity.
6. After completing the group activity, have each group orally present their mnemonic device while standing in the correct arrangement.
7. Assessment: Students create a visual representation of what they have learned about the arrangement of the planets and asteroid belt in our solar system.
AssessmentsEach student will draw a pictorial representation of the arrangement of the planets and asteroid belt from the sun. A rubric will be used as a formative assessment of the student's learning.
Attached FilesThis is a rubric to be used as a formative assessment. File Extension: pdf
Return to the Beacon Lesson Plan Library.