Beacon Lesson Plan Library
Exercise for Health
DescriptionStudents chart and analyze data on a physical fitness chart pertaining to assessment, improvement and maintaining cardiovascular fitness.
ObjectivesThe student knows how to maintain appropriate levels of cardiovascular fitness, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition necessary for a healthy lifestyle.
The student knows how to apply the results of fitness assessments to guide changes in a personal program of physical activity and develop a training and conditioning program that enhances individual health-related needs.
Materials-Clipboards for group leaders
-Folders for each student
-Fitness Chart for each student
-Checklist for fitness chart for each student
Preparations1. Have folders and fitness charts ready for each student.
2. Review the chapter on cardiovascular fitness in the Personal Fitness textbook.
3. Determine groups and leaders.
ProceduresPrior activity-Student should be introduced to the chapter on cardiovascular fitness in the state adopted textbook.
1. Discuss different exercises and fitness tests, which can be used to develop and assess cardiovascular fitness.
2. Divide the class into groups of nine.
3. Appoint one leader for each group, which will be rotated weekly until all students have the opportunity to lead.
4. Each group will develop an exercise program for cardiovascular fitness. This program will be followed for one week.
5. The leader will evaluate the progress of each student in the group using the fitness chart.
AssessmentsFitness checklist. (see associated file) Using their own fitness scores, the students write paragraphs on how to apply these results in developing their cardiovascular fitness exercise program. Assess the paragraphs to make sure that students' paragraphs show they know what changes in a personal program of physical activity are necessary to develop a training and conditioning program that enhances individual health-related needs.
Attached FilesThe file is for the student to record their results and a checklist the teacher can use to show that the student has recorded their results. File Extension: pdf
Return to the Beacon Lesson Plan Library.