Beacon Lesson Plan Library
Sing that Tune
DescriptionA formative activity to encourage listening skills and matching tones. The students work toward singing a musical passage without accompaniment and maintaining the tonal center.
ObjectivesThe student sings songs within a five-to-seven note range alone and maintains the tonal center.
Materials- Piano or Keyboard
- Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star: Lyrics by Jane Taylor
Preparations1. Obtain a piano or keyboard.
2. Place piano or keyboard in room so that teacher may play the keys and maintain eye contact with students.
3. Prepare a simple children’s song.(Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star)
Procedures1. Ask students to stand in a semi-circle.
2. Play a C scale on the keyboard.
3. Ask students if they can match notes by singing with the keyboard.
4. Teacher will demonstrate by singing (LaLaLa) while playing the scale.
5. The group will then sing the scale.
6. Provide feedback and try again if needed.
7. If acceptable as a group, ask for a volunteer to try it individually with and without accompaniment.
8. Continue asking for volunteers until all have completed successfully.
9. Introduce the term arpeggio – the first, third, fifth, and eighth tones of the scale.
10. Teacher will demonstrate by singing and playing arpeggio.
11. Follow steps 5 – 8 singing the arpeggio.
12. Introduce the first phrase of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.
13. Teacher will demonstrate by singing and playing on keyboard.
14. Follow steps 5-8 singing the phrase.
1. The students will individually demonstrate understanding of matching tones by performing the following: A. Listening to and matching tones in a C scale, C arpeggio, and the first phrase of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.
B. Listening to and matching intervals between tones.
2. The students will sing individually, without accompaniment the C scale, C arpeggio and the first phrase of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star and maintain the tonal center.
1. Students successfully match tones and intervals between tones while singing individually.
2. Students successfully maintain the tonal center while singing individually.
ExtensionsThis lesson may be extended by having the students listen to and successfully sing a verse of a song and finally the whole song. Matching rhythms may also be included with this exercise.
Return to the Beacon Lesson Plan Library.