Beacon Lesson Plan Library
DescriptionStudents collect, organize, and analyze data while studying the Pythagorean Theorem. They measure the length and width of several rectangular objects and compare the measured results to the calculated results
ObjectivesThe student represents and applies geometric properties and relationships to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
-Wooden rectangular blocks
-Rectangular desk top
-Teacher-made worksheets (see attached file)
-Pencils for students to record data
Preparations1. Compose and make copies of worksheet.
2. Gather blocks and books to be measured.
3. Gather metric rulers.
Procedures1. Teacher leads a class discussion in Pythagorean Theorem
2. The teacher reviews:
a) Using metric ruler
c) Square Roots
3. The class is divided into groups of three students (designate student A, B, and C in each group).
4. The groups will be working at a rectangular desk or table.
5. Each group is given a metric ruler, block, and book.
6. Teacher-made worksheets are passed out.
7. In each group, student A measures the length, width, and diagonal of the block, while student B records the data. Student C uses the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the length of the diagonal of the block.
8. In each group, student B measures the length, width, and diagonal of the book, while student C records the data. Student A uses the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the length of the diagonal of the book.
9. In each group, student C measures the length, width, and diagonal of the desk while student A records the data. Student B uses the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the length of the diagonal of the desk.
10. The groups are given 40 minutes for the students to measure and record information.
11. Each group shares their results in a teacher directed discussion.
a) Measurement of length is correct.
b) Measurement of width is correct.
c) Measurement of diagonal is correct.
d) Pythagorean Theorem was used correctly.
2. Teacher observation
a) Contributes to class discussion
b) Uses calculator effectively
c) Works well in group
Attached FilesThis is a classroom worksheet to record the length, width, and diagonal of the book, block, and desk. File Extension: pdf
Return to the Beacon Lesson Plan Library.