Beacon Lesson Plan Library
Santa Rosa District Schools
Students pretend that they have just landed a job with a local music magazine, and their first assignment is to write a short article in which they interpret the lyrics of a popular song.
The student uses a variety of strategies to analyze words and text, draw conclusions, use context and word structure clues, and recognize organizational patterns.
The student determines the main idea or essential message in a text and identifies relevant details and facts and patterns of organization.
The student identifies the author's purpose and/or point of view in a variety of texts and uses the information to construct meaning.
-Student’s choice of popular song
1. Make class copies of “Writing Situation for Song Analysis” and -Song Analysis Evaluation Form.- (See attached file.)
2. Write a song analysis of teacher’s favorite song and share composition with the class.
1. Teacher explains writing situation, telling the students that they are to pretend they are working for a music magazine, and that their first assignment is to write a short article in which they interpret the lyrics of a popular song.
(See attached file.)
2. Teacher shares a song analysis of his or her favorite song and shares the model composition with the class.
3. Teacher reviews the parts of an expository composition: introduction, body, and conclusion. (See attached assignment sheet.)
4. Teacher goes over article guidelines. (See attached assignment sheet.)
5. Teacher goes over evaluation form for the assessment of the article.
6. Student chooses a popular song that has lyrics that he or she could interpret.
7. In a brief article, the student writes an analysis of this song. (See attached file.)
Teacher Assessment using “Song Analysis Evaluation Form”