Beacon Lesson Plan Library
Basic Features of a Civilization
Orange County Schools
Students work in groups answering questions about what they would need for their civilizations to survive on a deserted island. They then have to relate their findings to the basic features of a civilization in essay form.
The student understands how social, cultural, economic, and environmental factors contribute to the dynamic nature of regions.
-Overhead or chalk board
1. Review the 8 basic features of a civilization.
2. Write questions on overhead or board.
3. Decide how you will group students.
4. Retrieve assessment tool.
1. Create an overhead or write questions on the board that are included in this lesson. (Questions are in attached file.)
2. Review the eight features of a civilization with students. (See associated file.)
3. Place students in groups.
4. Explain to the students that they are on a deserted island with the other students in their group. There is nothing on the island except one item they decide to bring with them.
5. Tell the students they need to cooperatively answer the questions on the overhead or board.
6. Students work together to answer the questions.
7. Ask each group to choose one person to speak for the group.
8. Have the representative from each group give you the groupís answers verbally.
9. Explain how some of their answers relate to the eight features of a civilization. Example: Students have a special skill that relates to the job they do on the island. This shows job specialization.
10. Students use the eight basic features of a civilization in an essay to explain which features were present in the society that they created and which were not.
11. Students hand in their essays.
12. Assess essay based on assessment tool.
Students will show they can relate the basic features of a civilization to the social, economic, and environmental factors that contribute to the dynamic nature of a region.
Students will show their knowledge through their written assignments.
___ Student has successfully contributed to group.
___ Student has answered all questions.
___ Student shows understanding of how social and cultural differences or similarities contribute to the nature of a region.
___ Student shows understanding of how economic factors contribute to the nature of a region.
___ Student shows understanding of how environmental factors contribute to the nature of a region.
___ Student shows understanding of how the eight features of a civilization are needed for a civilization to flourish.
___ Content and format of essay are acceptable.
Have the students list the basic features of a civilization and write next to the feature why they think a society would not flourish without that feature.
File Extension: pdf