Beacon Lesson Plan Library
Square by Square
DescriptionStudents select a simple picture to enlarge, and transform.
ObjectivesThe student produces a scale drawing.
Materials-Student selected picture
-Centimeter Rulers for every student
-White 8 1/2 x 11 plain copy paper (2 per student)
-Colored pencils, or magic markers
-Project information sheet, 1 per student (see attached file)
Preparations1. Make at least one example to give students a visual representation.
2. Gather copy paper, rulers and colored pencils/markers.
Procedures1. Students previously select and bring to class a simple picture that measures at least 25 square centimeters. Good sources are coloring books, calendars, greeting cards and cartoons.
2. On the original picture, students draw in a grid of 1 cm by 1 cm squares.
3. On plain 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, draw a grid of 2cm by 2cm squares.
4. Following the original, copy each square. The result will be an enlargement.
5. On plain 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, draw a grid of 2cm by 3cm rectangles ( or 3cm by 2cm).
6. Following the original, copy each square into the corresponding rectangle. The result, will be a transformation of the original. It will be an enlargement that is wider or taller.
7. Color the enlargements, and present them in a creative way.
8. I asssign this as an out of class project. The students have one 50 minute class period to get started, so that I can make sure they are on the right track. Then, they have 3 weeks to submit their final project.
AssessmentsBased on -Grading Criteria- located at the bottom of project information sheet.
ExtensionsFinished products are displayed on classroom bulletin board.
Attached Files"Square By Square" Project Information Sheet File Extension: pdf
Return to the Beacon Lesson Plan Library.