In 1827, Andrew Jackson appointed his good
friend, ex-governor of Georgia, John Clark to be
"Keeper of the Trees". John Clark and his
family settled in St. Andrew. This area was
called Old Town, St. Andrew. The trees were
about 300 feet tall, both pine and oak. The
U.S. Navy needed this timber for ship building.
This was a new territory and had much to
offer: fertile land, timber, and fishing. It was
through Governor Clark's selection of St.
Andrew as a home that other prominent and
influential settlers came to the area.