Panama City began with three homesteads
in this area. One was secured by S.L. Slade
and was located around the present courthouse
site and was platted as Floropolis. J.R. Irwin's
homestead included the Harrison Avenue land.
It was sold to George Jenks and platted in
1888 as Park Resort.
The town name was later changed to
Harrison after our 9th president, President
William H. Harrison. The third homestead was
west of Harrison Avenue around the Bay Line
Depot. It belonged to G. B. Thompson. The
unsold land in each of the homesteads was
purchased by G. M. West of Chicago, Illinois in
1905. Since a line between Chicago, Illinois
and the Panama Canal passes through
Panama City, Harrison was renamed Panama
City. The main street of Panama City
remained Harrison and is still called Harrison
In 1914 Harrison Avenue was a dirt
road. Note the horse hoof prints left in the dirt.
Parking on Harrison Avenue was not
supervised when few cars used the road. By
1925 Harrison Avenue had grown into a busy
business district with much traffic. Harrison
Avenue hasn't changed much since the 1950's.