Bay County Schools

Schools have always been an important center of community activities. High school began in these two story buildings on Harrison Avenue in 1913. Upon completion of Panama City High School in 1914, the few students who needed high school work enrolled. All other grades were also taught here. Bay County High School, now called Bay High, opened in 1926 combining students from small high schools through out the county. At this time the old Panama City High School became Panama Grammar.

Gulf Coast Junior College began with classes in the Wainwright Shipyards in 1957. The present campus open in 1960. The name was later changed to Gulf Coast Community College.

Bob Jones College began near Lynn Haven in 1927 but the sting of the Depression closed the college shortly there after.


Return to Table of Contents Page.