Beacon Lesson Plan Library
Santa Rosa District Schools
Students write a biographical poem about themselves using an easy formula.
The student drafts and revises writing that -is focused, purposeful, reflects insight into the writing situation;-conveys a sense of completeness and wholeness with adherence to the main idea;-has an organizational pattern that provide for a logical progression of ideas;-has support that is substantial, specific, revelant, concrete, and/or illustrative;-demonstrates a commitment to and an involvement with the subject;-has clarity in presentation of ideas;uses creative writing strategies appropriate to the purpose of the paper;demonstrates a command of language (word choice) with freshness of expression;has varied sentence structure and sentences that are complete except when fragments are used and purposefully; andhas few, if any, convention errors in mechanics, usage, and punctuation.
-An example of a bio-poem written by the teacher or the example from file
-Pencil or pen
1. Make copies of bio-poem handout for students. (See attached file.)
2. Teacher writes an original bio-poem as a model for students.
1. Explain the biographical poem (bio-poem). A bio-poem is a poem that relates specific information about a person. It is a formula for creating a quick picture of someone.
2. Share your own original bio-poem about yourself. (You may also share the example in the attached file.)
3. Hand out copies of the bio-poem formula. (See attached file.)
4. Students respond to directions on the bio-poem formula.
5. Students are given an opportunity to orally share poems. (I would not make this mandatory as part of the grade for this assignment. Some students are very private with their responses.)
6. Collect poems and evaluate the poem. (See assessment.)
The poems are assessed to see if the students' poems are focused and reflect insight into the writing situation.
The students could write a bio-poem about one or more of the characters in a book. Students may find it necessary to alter the suggested bio-poem format because of the nature or lack of information about a character.
File Extension: pdf